Saturday, July 25, 2009

Stint with Surrey will help me regain form: Sohail Tanvir


KARACHI: Pakistan’s discarded paceman Sohail Tanvir said on Friday he was honoured to win a one-year contract with English county side Surrey, saying it could help him win back his place in the national team.

The 25-year-old left-arm paceman, omitted from Pakistan’s five-match one-day series against Sri Lanka starting next week, said he would try to benefit from the opportunity.

‘I am very honoured and excited at getting a one-year deal with a renowned county like Surrey,’ Tanvir told AFP.

‘I hope a stint with Surrey will help me get fitter and regain my form, and with it I get my Pakistan place back.’

Tanvir has been off form since he was the leading wicket-taker for Rajhastan Royals in the inaugural season of the Indian Premier League last year.

He was dropped from the Pakistan team after the first one-day international against Sri Lanka this year before being recalled for the limited over series against Australia in April-May, where he again failed to impress.

He was part of Pakistan’s triumphant World Twenty20 squad but was again ineffective in the matches he played.

‘I am aware that I am not bowling to the best of my ability, but I am confident that the loss of form is temporary and bowling at The Oval (where Surrey are based) will give me my confidence and form back.’

Tanvir, who has played two Tests, 31 one-day internationals and 13 T20 games since his debut in 2007, said he was honoured to be associated with the same county for which legendary Pakistan paceman Waqar Younis played.

‘It is a great honour that I will be playing for the same county for which Waqar played and he was one of my favourite bowlers. I will definitely want to make my name in the English county as well.’

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Deal of the week

$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com
free counters
Follow this site
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Usama | Blogger Theme by Humari News