Sunday, July 26, 2009

Langer says is ready to play for Australia if asked


SYDNEY: Former Test opener Justin Langer said he was prepared to play for Australia in the third Ashes Test if asked.

Langer, who this week became Australia's highest first class runs record holder, has admitted to missing the thrill of Test cricket.

The 105-Test veteran is currently playing for English county side Somerset.

"One of the boys in the Somerset changing room asked me 'if they asked you to play tomorrow, how much would it take?' and I said I would play the third Test for Australia next week for nothing," he said.

Langer's comments came as current opener Phillip Hughes's form slump deepened on Friday, he made just ten in the first innings of Australia's tour match against Northamptonshire.

"When you have played that much, you miss the big Tests," Langer said.

"I miss the hype of the Ashes series.

"I also miss the challenge of playing against Andrew Flintoff. That is what it is all about.

"That is the great test for batsmen. I really miss being in those sort of battles. I miss Test cricket.

"There is a lot I don't miss about it but these big series, I'd play tomorrow if I was asked.''

Langer retired from Test cricket at the end of Australia's 5-0 demolition of England in the 2006-07 Ashes series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Deal of the week

$1.99 Domains* at GoDaddy.com
free counters
Follow this site
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Usama | Blogger Theme by Humari News